• 1
  • 2
  • 3

New Headline

New Headline 2

New Headline 3

History

History of the Owosso Speedway

In September of 1937 four local businessmen, Lysle May, Cecil Mead, Edward Sedlack, and James Morrison would break ground on what would eventually be known as the Owosso Speedway.

With only an old tractor and a hand operated grader the four men, who continued to work day jobs to fund the operation. Originally planning on building a half-mile high banked oval, plans pivoted to a quarter-mile dirt course.

The Speedway would begin racing in 1939 before being forced to shut down efforts when a national motorsports ban came down during World War II. The federal government would co-op the Speedway to serve as an encampment for German POWs from North Africa.

When racing resumed, the half-mile oval would be completed. Many times over the Speedway would claim the world record for fastest half-mile dirt oval.

The Speedway would go back and forth between dirt and pavement over the years. In 1988 the Speedway would close mid-season and would be completely revitalized under the leadership of Elmer Simko. The half and quarter mile combination would be gone, replaced with a 3/8s mile progressively banked oval.

This configuration would continue on into the 21st century.

At the completion of the 2022 season it was announced that Rex and Sarah Wheeler had purchased the historic facility and immediately showed their investment in the facility by resurfacing the facility for the first time in 33 years. The existing track was laser scanned with state of the art asphalt compounds used.

As the Speedway marches forward under the leadership of the Wheeler Family look for even more improvements to come.

Next Event

Today!

Driver Registration Buy Tickets!


Latest Photos

Latest Videos

Our Partners